15 Dec 2013

1 year celebration

On Nov 5th, I pumped my fists in the air like a manly man on Wallstreet who just made a million bucks on a deal resulting in a bonus that would make politicians blush. I celebrated my first year of recovery from my eating disorder. And what did I do? I went out to eat. Hahaha. I know it could seem like an alcoholic celebrating 1 year abstinence with a bottle of beer. It's not. Because alcoholics can stop drinking booze, I still have to eat.

So, I ate. With my British Boy. My 1 year anniversary coincides with Guy Fawkes Night in the UK, so I went to Max' work near Liverpool Street Station, rode up the elevator to the 23rd floor and enjoyed the most spectacular view of London punctuated by fireworks in honour of the day. We then wandered around for a bit before settling on having dinner at the Market Coffee House aka The English Restaurant near Spitalfields.

We got a celebratory half bottle of champagne and received a lovely amuse bouche:

 
Omelette amuse bouche
 My starter was my go-to in any restaurant - seriously, I cannot resist - scallops. This time, they were a bit overdone, which took away some of their sweetness and I am not 100% convinced the pairing with the interesting sounding cauliflower couscous was the most successful one. The bacon was divine and the tomato pieces gave it all a much needed lift.


Scallops with cauliflower couscous, bacon and tomato salsa
The British Boy had ham hock terrine. I tried only a small piece and whilst it tasted ham-hock-y, I simply was not blown away by it.

Ham Hock terrine
Max had venison wrapped in bacon with a fig tartlet as a main. I had some of his venison, it tasted gamy and most importantly, he loved it. 

Venison and fig tartlet
 My main was a duo of red mullet and salmon, served with potatoes and artichokes.
Salmon, Red Mullet with potatoes and artichokes
 I was actually quite full after my dinner and yet, the cheese board called to me and luckily I could count on my trusty husband to help me eat it. :)
Cheese and chutney with home made biscuits

No comments:

Post a Comment