20 May 2013

Vienna, but no Sachertorte

I'm getting better at travelling, purely from a food perspective. I am getting tired of it at the same time, from an 'impact on life' perspective. Whilst it's nice to change things up from my office job, the world doesn't stop when I'm away. That means a lot of things to catch up on upon return. I don't like that. At all.

Vienna is beautiful though. I had a chance to spend 4 days there, walking around the city and practising eating by myself in moderation. It went fairly well - the first night I treated myself to a two course meal at Lebenbauer, a so-called 'Vollwertrestaurant', which could basically be described as place that serves new age stuff, for instance brown rice, quinoa etc. This is not so wide spread in mainland Europe as it is for instance in the US.

Trio of asparagus

Cod with brown rice and vegetables, sadly this was not so tasty.
One of the best evenings was listening to the Vienna Symphony for free in a park. I had stumbled across a poster one my morning run and returned two days later to a blue sky, a 50 minute queue for a white wine spritzer and some music. It was lovely!
One of the highlights - a free concert in the park, with sunshine, a white wine spritzer and an orchestra.
Another highlight was going for a run at the Prater. It was six AM last Thursday, already 18 degrees, blue sky and sunny. I had put my hair up in a pony tail, slipped into my running shoes and set off into the general direction of the park. About 10 mins into my run, I felt a weird sensation on my head, like someone pulling my pony tail... I looked around and there was no one. Creepy, I mean, I was running alone in a deserted street - it could have so been someone trying to nap me... Anyway, I kept on running, when it happened again. It was a HUGE crow chasing me, talons (do crows have talons?) first, several times. Flippin' bird. Scared the bejeezus out of me.

My eats were ok too and I loved being able to combine my work trip with a stopover in Germany at my parents. Only downside was that the trip ended exactly like my China trip... with another episode of stomach trouble. Luckily I recovered much quicker and was able to back to solid and exciting foods quickly.

Breakfast and lunch on Monday after my return (on our newly laid lawn - yay - and yes, I took my breakfast bowl outside into the garden to snap a picture and then back inside to eat it. The British Boy looked at me as if I was insane.)

Strawberry banana smoothie topped with pear, buckwheat groats, coconut and hazelnuts.


A german roll topped with my dad's venison salami & pear, side salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment