13 Sept 2013

Date night

The British Boy will cringe when he reads this. Something as planned and contrived as a date will surely rouse his distaste. Whatever I want to call this, quality time (bleurgh), a movie and dinner, time spent with ones love, it happened and it was nice. I like dates, both the dried fruit variety and the going out, kissing and staring at each other adoringly.

This was one of the latter and it ended up with a meal at the Jugged Hare. It started with meeting my man for a movie at the Barbican. Going to the movies is scandalously expensive and with Max being a member there, he got a discount. I love a discount and I love the Barbican. Win win situation. The architecture is fascinating and it so reminds me of what people in the 70s must have thought the future to look like.


View into the Barbican comples
After the movie, we went for dinner at the Jugged Hare. We've been to this place before to enjoy an asparagus themed night and I really liked it. Because I had only had brunch, though it was a big brunch, I opted to have a starter and a main - and, gasp, dessert.

We began the meal by ordering a bottle of sparkly stuff and then dug into some warm, just out of the oven bread with butter. Yum, I had to stop myself from overdoing it. My starter was ox tongue with beetroot slaw and gherkin. I thought it was safe from Max, since he hates both beetroot and gherkins, but I was nice to exchange a bit of my tongue for his terrine. I won that one hands down.
 


Ox tongue, beetroot slaw and gherkin

My main was a honey roast salmon nicoise salad with the dressing on the side. Because I lived in the US for six years, I have no qualms stating my preferences when it comes to 'customizing' my order. Max has gotten used to it, but I think it's fair to say that he is still very much embarrassed by my special requests and oftentimes tells me that I need to order my own food if I am so picky. I happily oblige if it means I can enjoy my food more. Anyway, I am aware it is an utter pain for the chefs and I suspect or imagine that either my food has been the recipient of someone's angry spit or I have been cursed at. Haha. I don't care.

Salmon Nicoise

Max had the just in season roasted grouse. It tastes gloriously gamey and this round went to him.

Roast Grouse
I felt very reckless and carefree (likely the booze at that point) and ordered dessert. When I chose the chocolate and salted caramel pot with brittle, I thought of a chocolate fondant-esque concoction. It wasn't. It was the below. It was chocolaty and rich and dark and sadly not quite what I wanted. That's the problem with making assumptions. I get disappointed if it's not living up to my imaginary standards. I live and learn. It was a nice dessert, don't get me wrong. Just not what I thought it would be. Luckily the British Boy volunteered to help me finish it.

Chocolate and salted caramel pot
It's not the cheapest place. We ended up spending just over £100 for two starters, two mains, one dessert and a bottle of sparkling wine. I would come back for their themed nights, which are £65 per head for 5 courses inspired by seasonal food, paired with wine. That's more after my taste and more in line with my wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment