1 Oct 2013

Foods in sane times

After the scary Prague incident, I have had some really good weeks. Yes, it has been weeks since I've been back - three to be precise and I have had ups and downs and overall, I felt more connected with the here and now. There is still a niggling dissatisfaction at times, and there are moments of such intense happiness that I feel I want to burst and there are moments when I'm sad and annoyed and thankful and angry. Overall, it's all ok and I guess this is how normal people feel.

I look for and generally achieve a healthy balance when eating at home. That has been the case even before Prague, when I had this meal:
No-mayo-coleslaw with pomegranate and dill

My meal of coleslaw, egg and home-made hummus. That was followed by a piece of toast.
It's the travelling and being surrounded by temptation at work when I am most likely to slip at the moment. And when I have snacky stuff at home. So, I try to not buy snacky stuff.

Working from home one or two days a week means I am removed from office snack temptation and I can be more experimental with food and make warm meals. With autumn here, I am starting to warm to the idea of soups and stews, and I have a wonderful post to share about a vegetarian chili with guacamole. Anyway, a few weeks ago for lunch, I had this delicious vegetable frittata, which is quick to whip up, chock full of fibre, contains protein and the slice of toast with peanut butter and jam doubled up as carb and dessert. Winner.


After that frittata, which happened on the Friday when I had just returned from Prague, I had friends visiting from New York. They brought a lovely bunch of flowers to say thank you for letting them stay at our flat. Flowers in my house make me smile and brighten up my day. I think I will have to buy them more often for myself. The British Boy had gone to his parents and I was joining him on Saturday, so our friends had free reign over our little kingdom. Before I headed out to the countryside, I had a delish bowl of cottage cheese, a peach and oats. I forgot how much I actually like cottage cheese. It was the start of a good weekend and of saner times.
Cottage cheese, oats and peach with cinnamon

No comments:

Post a Comment