2 Apr 2013

Food's on my mind

I can't seem to shake my thoughts revolving around food. It is working if I get very specific in my food plan and actually text in exactly what I plan on eating, but as soon as I try to get too generic, for instance writing '1 plate full of complex carbs, fats and protein' in combination with having a full fridge and seemingly endless possibilities, I start going off in my head to think about all the varying things I could put together.

In preparation for the week ahead, I cooked some lentils and barley, to have healthy options at hand especially since I will be working from home twice this week. Yet, instead of the calming effect I had hoped this would have, I am continuously creating and re-creating recipes in my head. I mean, the outcomes are pretty darn tasty, but it's actually distracting and means I am using it as an escape mechanism. I retreat into recipe creation mode...

Having written that, here are the creations:

For lunch yesterday: lentils, orange, beetroot, red onion and parsley in a lemon vinaigrette.


For dinner prior to my Monday meeting - sautéed vegetables with miso dressing on a bed of romaine, carrots and red cabbage.


Breakfast today, after a 4 mile run, was brown soda bread with half avocado and half seed butter as well as an apple around 10, because I was really hungry. Lunch was a yummy slaw concoction of cabbage, barley, lentils in the same dressing as yesterday's lunch.

Dinner was a frittata of roasted butternut squash, roasted potato, mushrooms and onions topped with Tunworth cheese. Oh my, that cheese is pongy and gooey and strong and cheesy and just truly outstanding. On the side a simple salad of romaine and shallots in a lemon vinaigrette and a quarter of a baguette. I also had a very tasty Liberty Ale, which I found in the local off license. I really like it - I guess given that I am on a barley trip as of recently, it makes complete sense.

Also, how amazing that I can feel ok to eat potato, bread and butternut squash on one plate, in one meal AND have beer. It's the small things that count. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment