25 Feb 2013

Floating in water

I love swimming. I discovered it at the beginning of the year when I couldn't run because of a (still occurring)hip pain, that started after I did a half marathon in early November 2012.

Swimming is a brilliant way to exercise -  gentle on the joints and, for me, great to really tune everything else out. This morning, though, I was grossed out by floating hair, used bandages and pieces of skin in the local pool I go to. I am sure it was probably like this every time, but this morning I was really distracted by it. Just the thought makes me shudder. I even swallowed some of the vile water, as I lost concentration due to an offending clump of hair ambling into my path. Yuck!!!

Nonetheless, I moved for 45 minutes and feel all the better for it. I still wonder how often they fish out the bits in the pool though. Mmh.

Breakfast was an un-pictured bowl of oats, apple, pomegranate, goats yoghurt and peanut butter cinnamon drizzle.

Lunch was this very satisfying concoction of roasted vegetables (onions, mushroom, carrot, parsnip, peppers, sugar snap peas), leftover tikka chicken, and blanched kale.


I normally try to get out at lunch time too, especially when working from home, so I don't get cabin fever and to have an excuse to get the most amazing coffee from Tina, we salute you. I love this place. It's a 10 minute walk from my flat to this quirky place, has a really laid back atmosphere and makes the best coffee in a mile radius (that's a huge statement for a city like London, where there is a coffee shop at almost each corner).



Although I am trying to close out today's post on a positive note, I would be lying if I pretended everything is ok. I am a hypochondriac drama queen. And as someone in the Friday OA meeting said: "Don't EVER google any symptoms. For me, it always ends up pointing towards cancer." I googled it.

My check in this morning:
I'm worried about whether my recent skin problems are a sign of some bigger underlying disease. I know I have the tendency to be overly dramatic and this bears the hallmarks of black or white thinking - immediately jumping to the worst possible scenario. To soothe my mind, I'll book an appointment with the doctor and let go of worrying about it. There's not much more I can do at the moment. I am a commitment to balance."

Erm, I haven't completely let go of it yet and am still worried. Doc's appointment is booked for Friday. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment